Join our team! The Sea to Sky Invasive Species Council is looking to hire a GIS Technician.
The Sea to Sky Invasive Species Council (SSISC) is a non-profit organization that works to minimize the threat of invasive species in the Sea to Sky Corridor. The SSISC requires the services of a GIS Technician to carry out data management and mapping tasks (using ESRI software), as well as making improvements to our existing cloud-based web mapping system (ArcGIS Online, Survey123 and Collector). We are looking for a recent graduate, or a GIS Technician with 1-3 years work experience.
TERM: November 16th 2020 – 28th March 2021
HOURS: 30 hrs/week, flexible schedule
RATE OF PAY: $22/hr + 4% vacation pay + computer/internet allowance
LOCATION: Our office is located in Whistler, BC, however this position is intended to be a remote-work opportunity, where the successful candidate will work from home. Ideally, the successful candidate will be located in the Sea to Sky region, but we will consider applicants from anywhere in BC.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5pm, October 6th, 2020
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The GIS Technician will work closely with SSISC’s Executive Director, Field Program Manager and Outreach Coordinator, providing spatial data management and mapping services, plus trouble-shooting of, and implementing improvements to, our existing ArcGIS Online web mapping system.
Examples of tasks include: creating and exporting maps (e.g. species distribution maps) using ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop; creating mapping templates for various outreach products (e.g. factsheets); setting up forms in Survey123; building and editing geodatabases with domains and coded values; building story maps, and other webmaps and publishing these to our website; data compilation of invasive animal observation data from multiple spatial data sources; other tasks as required.
The GIS Technician must have:
- Formal training or education in GIS, or equivalent work-experience.
- Experience using ESRI’s suite of GIS software, specifically ArcGIS Online, Collector, Survey 123, ArcMap for Desktop, and ArcGIS Pro.
- An interest in environmental conservation, and particularly invasive species management and/or biology
- Experience using Python, SQL and other coding languages;
- Experience using WordPress;
- Experience creating ArcGIS story maps;
- Experience using GPS or mobile GIS apps on iPads/IOS;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, including pivot tables and formulas;
- Familiarity with DataBC and other spatial data sources;
- A suitable home-office space to work from (with a computer that is capable of running GIS software & video conference calls, a phone and a reliable internet connection).
The GIS Technician must be:
- An energetic, self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills;
- An excellent problem-solver and critical thinker;
- Able to work remotely;
- Between the ages of 18 and 30, and qualify for ECO Canada’s Digital Skills for Youth program.
PLEASE SEND RESUME & COVER LETTER explaining HOW you meet the requirements, as one single PDF file TO:
Clare Greenberg, Executive Director – email@example.com
ONLY CANDIDATES BEING CONSIDERED FOR POSITIONS WILL BE CONTACTED.
POSITION IS SUBJECT TO FUNDING CONFIRMATION.
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL 5pm October 6th, 2020
View the job posting as a PDF here.