Click on links below for more information about legislation, regulations and bylaws that are relevant to invasive species management in the Sea to Sky region.
Government of Canada
- Aquatic Invasive Species Regulations
- Canada Food Inspection Agency Acts & Regulations (including Plant Protection Act, Seeds Act etc.)
Province of British Columbia
A summary of provincial regulations and legislation can be found here.
- Weed Control Act
- Forest and Range Practices Act
- Integrated Pest Management Act
- Community Charter
- Controlled Alien Species Regulation
- Local Government Act
Squamish-Lillooet Regional District (SLRD)
- SLRD Invasive Species Management and Control Service Establishment Bylaw, Alternative Approval Process and Noxious Weeds Control Bylaw
- Soil Deposit and Removal Bylaw
For more information about SLRD bylaws, please refer to the SLRD website.
Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW)
- The Environmental Protection Bylaw prohibits the planting of invasive species in Whistler. It also allows the municipality to provide enforceable notice to remove invasive plant species from private land.
- The Garbage Disposal and Wildlife Attractants Bylaw provides guidelines for the disposal of garbage and other waste, including invasive plant species.
- Pesticide Use Regulation Bylaw and 2012 Amendment
- Property Maintenance Bylaw
- Removal and Deposit of Soil Bylaw
- Click here for a PDF version of SSISC’s presentation on the RMOW Environmental Protection Bylaw
For more information about RMOW Bylaws, please refer to the RMOW website. To contact RMOW Bylaw Enforcement, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-935-8280.
District of Squamish (DOS)
For more information about DOS bylaws, please refer to the DOS website. Questions may be directed to the Legislative Services department at 604-892-5217. For bylaw enforcement, call 604-815-5067.